Otway is certified by the RSPCA Approved Farming Scheme as a combination farming system.• Farms are inspected by RSPCA employed assessors.
• Nose ringing, tail docking, and surgical castration are not permitted.
• Teeth clipping and tusk trimming are permitted.
• Farrowing crates and sow stalls not permitted.
• There are no standards for the use of antibiotics and growth promoting hormones.
• These Standards do not currently include specific outdoor stocking densities for growing pigs.
• Dual systems allowed on farms where supply chain traceability can be ensured.
(That is, both free range and barn housed systems can exist on the same farm.)
• Breeding pigs (sows and boars) have access to outdoor range areas.
• Weaners (growing pigs) are kept in indoor or covered systems.
(That is, only breeding pigs have unrestricted daylight access to the outdoors.)
RSPCA's Approved Farming Scheme standards for pigs are available here.
- Street: 21 Benn Court
- City: Derrimut
- State: Victoria
- Postcode: 3030
- Telephone: 1800 664 166
- Fax: 03 9394 0999