Coles Finest Fresh Pork
Coles Finest fresh pork is certified outdoor by the RSPCA Approved Farming Scheme. It is available in ACT, NSW and Victoria and include the following standards:• Farms are inspected by RSPCA employed assessors.
• There are no standards for the use of antibiotics and growth promoting hormones.
• Nose ringing, tail docking, and surgical castration are not permitted.
• Teeth clipping and tusk trimming are permitted.
• Farrowing crates and sow stalls not permitted.
• Dual systems allowed on farms where supply chain traceability can be ensured.
(That is, both indoor and outdoor housed systems can exist on the same farm.)
RSPCA's Approved Farming Scheme standards for pigs are available here.
Coles has announced that from 2014 they will no longer stock pork products from pigs that have been confined in sow stalls.
Coles has also recently ordered its fresh pork suppliers to not use paylean, a chemical used in pig production to increase lean meat production. With the ban of paylean in fresh pork already in effect, Coles will also extend the ban to all deli products by 2014.
- Street: PO Box 480
- City: Glen Iris
- State: Victoria
- Postcode: 3146
- Telephone: 1800 061 562
- Fax: 03 9829 3818